Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Bodies of Water

A band that has recently been playing in my house ON REPEAT for the last few months is the questionably glorious and extravagant Bodies of Water out of Los Angeles. Just last week they released their second album, A Certain Feeling on Secretly Canadian (label mates including Jens Lekman, Foreign Born and The War on Drugs). Their full and over-the-top sound falls somewhere between the Polyphonic Spree and the grade school chorus of your choice. Each song has its own life, beginning middle and end stages you can tell they put everything into. If you have heard them before and felt a little taken aback, listen to a few key songs, turn off the AC, roll the windows down in your car, and pretend you are driving through Antelope Canyon in your beat up pick up with only your dog, a jug of water, and your own emotional turmoil to keep you company. Life is good.

Recommended tracks:

Off of Ears Will Pop and Eyes Will Blink
1. Our Friends Appear Like the Dawn
2. I Guess I'll Forget the Sound, I Guess, I Guess
3. Here Comes My Hand

Off of A Certain Feeling
1. Water Here
2. Gold Tan Peach and Grey
3. If I Were a Bell



They are losing their drummer who is AMAZING, I am curious to see how that will change things for their next album.


HAPPY LISTENING


No comments: